Obstetrician-gynaecologist, reproductologyst Teona Antia
– When a woman may be considered infertile? What are reasons causing infertility and which preventive measures shall we take to avoid this problem?
– Woman is considered to be infertile when against the background of unsafe sexual contact for more than 1 year pregnancy does not approach. In this case the couple must immediately address a doctor, have proper examinations conducted, be given diagnosis and individual treatment regimen must be selected. Reason of infertility can be caused by female or male factor or by unexplainable genesis (idiopathic), unity of the above mentioned factors, in the issue whereof pregnancy does not develop or prematurely terminates. Fortunately to overcome infertility exist numerous safe and effective treatment modes. As a result of this treatment, if a patient timely addresses the doctor, chance of getting pregnant perceptibly grows.
Reasons of female infertility
Organic, immune, genetic, unknown genesis (idiopathic)
– Pathology of fallopian tubes;
– Hormonal disorders – unovulatory cycle, ovulation disorders
– Age: together with a woman advancing in age, ovarian reserve and quality of ovadecrease
– Other reasons: premature reduction of ovary function, uterus factors, smoking, consumption of alcohol, radiation therapy, such as chemotherapy;
– Organic reasons: anatomic anomalies exerting influence upon a woman’s infertility
In case of men:
Poor sperm index (low content of spermatozoa, reduced movement of spermatozoa, morphologically defective spermatozoid);
– When a couple shall address a doctor?
– Think over a doctor’s consultation if you for more than one year unsuccessfully attempt to get pregnant, visit a doctor sooner if you are a woman and:
During selection of treatment mode advantage is always given to the mode that is indicated during a concrete pathology: medicamentous, surgical (fertiloscopy, laparoscopy, hysteroscopy). In case conservative or surgical treatment is ineffective, is used modern assisted productive mode – intrauterine
insemination or in vitro fertilization when ovum and sperm fusion takes place outside the body, then the obtained embryo is transferred into the uterine cavity. In patients who are diagnosed stable organic damages or are presented infertility of immune or unknown genesis, assisted reproductive technologies (in vitro (artificial) fertilization, intrauterine insemination, represent mode of selection. In agreement with a patient must be made a timely decision on artificial fertilization, as together with age ovary reserve and
ova quality reduce that is a precondition of getting pregnant.
Unfortunately frequent are cases when late visit to a doctor even more complicates the state, as, as we mentioned above a woman’s ovary reserve is exhaustible together with age. The same can be said about infertility caused by male factor, time in this case is also very important; time is earnest of your success.